Traveldir.org features a collection of United Kingdom travel, vacation and hotels related articles. Please feel free to submit your travel guide, personal travelogue, United Kingdom hotel guide or any other travel related story.
While the days are starting to get shorter and the evenings darker, there is still much to see when visiting Bournemouth. Being one of only a handful of Bournemouth hotels within a minute of the beach, we thought we'd share our knowledge of the area.
Bournemouth beach is one of the most famous landmarks in the South of England. Below outlines some of the facts about the famous beach that you might not know about...
1. Bournemouth's neighbour town Poole has the second largest natural habour in the world.
2. Bournemouth beaches reach over 7 miles, from adjacent Christchurch to Sandbanks, Poole.
3. Bournemouth and Poole have each won four Blue Flag Awards for their beaches, which means that they are some of the world's best beaches. United, the two towns have more Blue Flag Awards than other resort in the UK.
4. At Boscombe Pier, the first artificial surf reef in Europe is constructed.
5. During the past three years, approximately 1.5 cubic meters of sand has been removed from the Isle of Wight and Poole Harbor and put onto Bournemouth, in order to widen the beach.
6. Between the 1st of May and 30th of September, dogs are only allowed on restricted beach areas. However, during the off season, they can play and run on all the beaches without a lead.
7. In 2007, Bournemouth was voted the best family friendly beach by Mothercare and Mother and Baby Magazine.
8. As the first in the UK, Bournemouth seafront has been awarded with a certification from the Green Tourism Business Scheme. This means, Bournemouth opts for sustainable tourism and the diminishment of environmental damage.
As mentioned, Bournemouth is now home to an artificial reef, one of only a few to be built across the world. The reef is expected to bring millions of extra people to the coast all year round, improving the facilities and hotels in the area.
About the Author
The Hermitage Hotel has been established in Bournemouth for over 50 years and is placed within a few minutes walk of the famous beach.
Statistics & Ratings
Submitted by: hermitagehotel
Total views: 918
Word count: 311
Character count: 1958
Article rating: none yet
Number of votes: 0
Rate this article now:
No comments posted yet.
Please login or register to post a comment.